Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Plenty of Sams

Well, it’s official. On Friday, May 7th, Samuel Steven Luubi entered this world.

As it turns out, Vincent was serious about naming his child after me, and now there’s another Samuel Steven at Namumu. And when I say it’s official, I mean it is officially official. Vincent actually had me write the name on the Zambian Record of Birth document before he submitted it to the Siavonga District Hospital.

And oddly enough, there was a little twist to the whole ordeal. Remember how the whole issue came up during that heart-to-heart Vincent and I had while walking a few weeks ago? And remember how his little pregnant wife was walking with us and agreed to the deal? Well, Vincent has two wives, and the one who just had Samuel Steven was the other wife, not the one walking with us. They were both pregnant and the other wife had her baby first.

Hmmm…

I wonder if the one walking with us will be sad that she didn’t get to have a Samuel Steven. Or maybe hers can be Samuel Steven, too. Or maybe I can convince Vincent to name that one Steven Samuel.

Ahh, the crazy, mixed-up world of polygamy.

So, even though I’ll be away from Siavonga for a little while the Sams will be well-represented. Now Samuel Steven Luubi is around. Plus, there’s another little Sam who lives in the village just outside of Namumu who is awesome. This Sam is like a little African Dennis the Menace, constantly running around stirring up trouble. He’s always carrying a slingshot and his clothes are always dirty and he always has this smile on his face like he just did something really, really bad. At the same time he is very likeable.

And if any skeezy Christopher Lloyd-ish burglars ever came to our quiet town I’m sure Sam could save the day.

Yep, I can die happy now because my name will live on.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, the crazy mixed up world of polygamy.
    Maybe having multiple children named Sam would be helpful....you know, streamline things a little bit for Vincent.

    Kinda like George Foreman- didn't he have like 6 kids and name them all the same thing??

    Oh, and speaking of lots of kids and news you'll need to know to "re-enter" the US- the Duggars have welcomed their 19th child.

    I figured you'd want to know!

    ReplyDelete