Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures

And now, a random smattering of pictures from Siavonga...



Here's a pretty typical scene around the Namumu complex, with girls sitting, laughing and hair braiding (from left to right, beginning with the hair-braidee, as opposed to the hair-braider, we have Wendy, Susan, Florence, Moonde and Kabuba). I showed a few Africa pictures to my middle school African boys in Crestwood's ESL program and they all want to holler at Kabuba. I don't blame them. She's a cutie.



There are more than a few dogs roaming around the villages of Siavonga. I think the villagers fed them from time to time because they all looked relatively healthy. They always have very sad eyes, though. And they just lay around in the shade all...day...long. Get a job, you bums.







A big-time drafts game (like checkers with a few more rules) going on here between Kebby (left), the boys care taker, and John (right). I played once or twice and got worked. The boys laughed at me. Jerks. If only I could challenge them in Call of Duty on Xbox I'd show them...




Patricia is in her early twenties and is a Namumu secretary. She handles some of the Namumu financial accounts and does a number of other tasks as well. Don't forget the cover letter to that TPS report, Patricia!







One Saturday Munjongo asked me to help build an outdoor toilet behind the Presbyterian Church. They were having a Presbyterian Women's conference in the church and around 30 ladies came to spend the night at the church. Since the church is still under construction and bathroom-less I had to get to work. I have since added "bathroom construction" to my resume, which I think will be very appealing for employers in a number of fields.



It never hurts to include a picture of the Namumu children looking cute. Here they are gathered around the leftover nsima after lunch. I'm telling you, they love that stuff. (Clockwise from bottom left: Tazwey, Fortune, Luando, Bickel, Michael, Veronica, Purity and Charity). Rascals.






No comments:

Post a Comment