Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Name is Uncle Chuck Norris

If I were back home sitting around in the Crestwood High School Sunday School Circle my GT and BT (Good Thing and Bad Thing for all you non-Crestwoodians…or Crestwoodites…or Crestwoodans…whatever) would be pretty easy to pin down this week.

My BT would undoubtedly be that I spent an entire evening this week battling with food poisoning. Not fun. But, don’t worry, after spending an entire night rolling on the floor of my bathroom moaning (sadly not a joke) I am alive and well.

So that sucked.

However, my GT, I think you will agree, more than makes up for my BT.

There are certain members of the staff at Namumu whom the children see and speak with on a daily basis. The children refer to these men and women as “Uncle So-and-So” or “Auntie So-and-So”. Now that I’ve been around long enough, I’ve been upgraded to “Uncle” status, which is awesome. And as if that wasn’t cool enough, not only am I referred to as “Uncle” now, but most of the girls are even calling me “Uncle Chuck Norris” on a regular basis. I know, it sounds too good to be true, doesn’t it? I assure you, it is indeed true.

So, there you have my GT and my BT. I think every other experience of the week would fall somewhere in between those two extremes.

My relationship with my next-door neighbors has progressed quite a bit as of late. It’s been a bit difficult getting to know them for a number of reasons. First and foremost, the two adult women and some of the others speak very little English. English is the official national language in Zambia and they teach it in the schools, but since we are in a very rural area (the few white people I’ve met here are impressed that I can survive out here in “The Bush”…hah) a good number of people haven’t had much schooling and therefore haven’t learned much English and therefore speak mostly Tonga. Like these two women, Mrs. Syanjoka and Sister Syanjoka.

Another problem has been that there is a constantly shifting cast of characters next door. Family members seem to shift around a lot in Africa, sometimes living here with parents, sometimes living there with Aunts and Uncles, etc. It’s tough to get to know people when they are coming and going so often.

But, since I’m rocking and rolling with my Tonga I can joke around a bit with the two older women and everyone else now. I’ve got a long way to go, but at least I’ve moved beyond the basic greetings. I think they appreciate it. So I chat with the adults in Tonga, chat with the teenagers in English, and basically just toss the little ones up in the air whenever I see them.

Innocent is still ridiculous. At least three times a day I see his mother, Sister Syanjoka, try to put pants on him and him proceed to drop them and run away from them mere moments later. That’s my boy. He actually cried the other morning because I left him to go to work, so that made me feel good.

Junior, the son of Mrs. Syanjoka, is the other pants-less rascal. He’s about 1 year old. Junior was the last hold-out against being my friend. He’s the little guy who would start crying and crawl to his mother whenever he saw me. After three months we’re finally cool. No crying. He even laughs at me sometime now. So, now he likes me. Still hates his pants, though.

My main communicator next door is Cholwe, a 13 year-old boy whose English is pretty good. He’s a nice kid and he teaches me Tonga.

I get to interact with everybody quite a bit because almost all of their waking hours are spent right out behind our house, in the open area between our home and our gardens. The women just kind of hang around and sit all day, sometimes washing clothes and sometimes cooking, and the kids, when they aren’t at school, do the same (like I said, we’re in The Bush…not always a lot going on).

So they talk and play games and mess around in the garden and basically just hang out all day. And you know what? I think everybody’s pretty satisfied with life. The children play and the adults watch the children play. And now that I’m speaking Tonga I can sit and join the party.

So, there’s my week. I hope all is well back in the States. Keep the comments coming.

Sincerely,

Uncle Chuck Norris

9 comments:

  1. Great blog, Sammy! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just hanging out watching kids - that is what I did for years and years - I am still trying to find my what's next? - love you, Sam - hope your garden is growing well. George wants to let you know that his green beans, zucchini and yellow squash took off over the weekend which means that they are about 5 inches tall now. He is putting cardboard between his sort of raised beds to deter weed growth. We will let you know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go with the tonga. I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to the exchange!!! We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam- Love the GT/BT. A "thing" I suppose in some blogging circles is to have a Thankful Thursday post....a list of things each week that you are thankful for. Sort of an extended GT perhaps? A good way to count blessings and to get over those BT's that sometimes come our way (like food poisoning!). Anyhooo....glad you're feeling better and LOVE the nickname.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, what are they putting in the pants over there? What is making the pants so objectionable? If we sent you a couple pair of really soft spiderman pajama pants would they wear them because they are awesome or is it the whole concept of pants that bothers these little guys? (I realize, they might not know who spiderman is, but I'm sure his appeal is as universal as Chuck Norris', right?)

    So when I was reading your blog I was picturing in my head a weird take on that seen from The Jerk. Only instead of Navin Johnson there were two african one-year-olds and instead of a gas station it was their yard and instead of a sniper there were their mothers holding pants instead of guns. You were watching from the window screaming "He HATES these pants!" and the little kids were running around sans pants but find pants everywhere they went and they were yelling "There are pants here too!!!" (as I describe this its sounding more and more like a one-year-old african's nightmare and less and less like The Jerk).

    ps. Chuck Norris uses hot sauce instead of eye drops...its a fact, just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May you continue to have more GT's than BT's.A former employee said "Every day is a good day but some days are just better than others".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uncle Chuck Norris...interesting! But definitely a GT!

    I am so sorry about your BT this week! Food poisoning is bad any time, any where! Glad you are feeling better!

    I don't know what to tell you about those naked boys...I like Bryce's thought! Boys will be boys!

    Take care!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  8. A mukuwa who speaks Tonga! I'm impressed!! Sounds like your stock is at an all-time high among the Namumuans. So sorry about the food poisoning--I hope you were the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Thing: school ends this week. Woo hoo!
    Bad Thing per the students: they won't be with me to hear their weekly Sam Cross update and they'll miss that. They said when we get back together in August (I teach them for multiple years) we'll have a big day of catching up on all of your activities from the summer. Did you know they talk about "when I get to Namumu I am going to try the capenta" not "if," but "when." You are making world travel very real for them and they love Namumu.
    Warmly, Cindy in Orlando

    ReplyDelete