Monday, May 4, 2009

Q & A

“What can Ros and I bring to Namumu in June? We would love to help out in any way.” - Alex

"As you know two folks from Park Lake are going to Namumu in June…what do you want them to bring for the students? Do they need school supplies for example? - All the best "

-Cindy

I’ve heard this question from a few people, Alex and Cindy.

To be honest, the children and staff are doing fine with what they have. Life is simple here and, for the most part, everyone’s basic needs are met. The school and the office here both seem well equipped.

Still, there are a few things that might be a good idea to bring.

If you are traveling to Namumu I would recommend bringing a lot of pictures to share and leave with the children and staff. They’re easy to pack and the children love them. Bring pictures of yourself, your family and anything else that will show them what your life is like back home.

Or, if you wanted to bring some small gifts for any of the staff here, like Munjongo and Esther, they would certainly appreciate it. I’ve seen them receive gifts like nice coffee, tea, stationery and pens, so anything along those lines would work.

Or, you could also bring any small games for the children. I know that they like playing UNO and I’m sure they would like playing with any other games you would bring. I have to warn you, though, that I’ve learned to never under-estimate the speed with which a Zambian child can destroy a piece of equipment, so keep that in mind.

In response to those who have asked about sending books for the school or other items to help out at Namumu, I’d have to say that, while it wonderful that you are thinking of ways to help out the organization, I think the transport costs are a bit too high to justify sending them. Still, if you have something specific in mind, shoot me an email and maybe we can work something out.

As for what to bring me, I’m doing just fine with everything I’ve got here. I’m really looking forward to you, Ros and Bill coming out here, Alex, so just bring yourselves and that will be good enough for me.

(Although I would graciously accept any and all Tabasco products)




"Can the students at Boone High begin the process of being penpals with the students at Namumu?"
-Cindy


I’ve fielded a few requests to be pen-pals with some of the Namumu children. I can coordinate this with any groups that would like to start. Just email me at ssc2x@virginia.edu and let me know how many children you’d like to write to and I’ll send you back a list of names and other details.




“I was at Namumu in 2005 with The Woodlands Community Presbyterian Church (WCPC). When we arrived, each our our names was being held by a particular child. Christopher had my name. One of his legs suffered from a medical condition that caused it to be disfigured. I heard that he had surgery on it a little while back. Is he still living at Namumu? If so, I'd love to know how he's doing. Thanks!”. –Ruth

Christopher is here and is doing well. He had surgery on his leg this past July and it was a success. He’s a good kid.

One of his favorite things to do is to throw sticks up at the Baobab tree in an effort to knock down the fruit. Even before, with his leg condition, he could hurl sticks with the best of ‘em. Now that he’s healthy I think he’s even better. I’ve tried a few throws and he’s put me to shame.

I’ll tell him that you said hello.



“How do you feel without your creature comforts? Are you finding your needs are fewer now or different now so you don't miss the things that you thought you would?”

-Cindy


Well, it was a tough transition into my new life here at first, but I’m happy to say that I’m now acclimated and am doing fine without many of the comforts of my life back home.

I’ve made it until now without a TV and I’m pretty happy about that. Most people here think it’s strange that I don’t have one and some of the staff have been trying to force one on me but I’ve been able to resist.

There’s no hot water in my shower which will probably suck when it gets cold at night in the upcoming months but is not really a problem now since it’s so hot.
I miss the food from back home the most, I’d say. Nsima and rice lose their appeal after eating them for every single meal every single day, as you might imagine. It’s cool, though. I’ve got hot sauce and Coca-Cola so I’ll survive.

So, life is a lot simpler now and I’m a-ok with that.





“hmmm, which is dirtier, your floor after it was pooped on or your underwear currently?”
-Bryce


Well, Bryce, I am happy to inform you that both my floor and my underwear are now squeaky clean.

Last week, while working in the garden, I sent a couple Namumu girls into my house to fetch a shovel. Apparently they weren’t too happy with the state of things in my home, so on Saturday I was bum-rushed by a group of about 15 Namumu girls who forced themselves into my house and cleaned every square inch of it. They scrubbed the floors, washed my clothes, did my dishes and even cooked me lunch. I really love those girls.

Just to be clear for all of you that may be worried about my overall hygiene, I’ve been cooking all of my own meals, doing my own laundry and cleaning my house consistently.

But, the girls insisted, and who was I to argue?

Let’s hope this treatment continues.

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog!! I feel like I hear you talking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure would have hated to see your apartment before the girls cleaned it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with your Mom...you write like you talk, so your blog is always fun to read!

    About those girls cleaning for you....Christopher just asked me "What if Sam marries an African girl?" For some reason he is worried about your marital status!(the things 8 year olds worry about these days!) I just told him you were serving the Lord right now and you will be ok!

    Joni

    ReplyDelete