Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pop Culture Catch-Up

I got a chance to catch up on the world of pop culture last week, which was nice. I took a few days off to visit some friends in Kitwe, a city a few hours north of Lusaka, where, along with these friends, I watched E! and MTV music videos to my heart’s content. Then, on the way home I stayed over at my good friend Ndula’s place and did the same. It was great getting reconnected to the world of trashy celebrities and brain-dead reality TV “stars”.

I have a few questions and comments concerning what I saw…

1. Is anyone else as terrified of Lady Gaga as I am? I think there’s a distinct possibility that she is the Antichrist. Horrifying. Absolutely horrifying.

2. How awesome is the movie “Taken” starring Liam Neeson? That right there is two hours of Liam Jack Bauer-ing his way around France and single-handedly bringing down an entire sex-trafficking ring. Unbelievable. I watched it for the first time in Kitwe with a couple of friends, two girls who are big on movie interaction (they like to have conversations with the characters and repeatedly said things like “Oooooooooh snap!” and “Daaaaaamn Liam!”). What a great time. I couldn’t believe it when he shot that French guy’s wife in the arm at the dinner table! Incredible! Just like when Jack Bauer threatened to throw Stephen Saunders’ daughter inside a building where an infectious disease had spread in 24’s Season 3, Liam wasn’t afraid to go after bad guys’ family members to get the job done. What a BAMF.

3. After hearing rave reviews for months and months from family and friends alike, I was fortunate enough to catch half an episode of “The Jersey Shore”. It was everything I thought it would be and more. It’s great to know that all of Dcat’s stories were true and people like that really do exist. Dcat, I think you should try to get casted for the next season. While not a Guido yourself, I don’t think anyone in this world appreciates them more than you, and I think you’d get along well with all of them. And your moustache could be the next season’s “situation”. Think about it.

4. How did “The Renegade” Lorenzo Lamas get his own reality show? Does E! just hand those things out to any has-been quasi-celebrity that shows up at their offices and asks for one? Do people actually watch that show?

5. Miley Cyrus’ current boyfriend is much better looking than I am. Dammit.

6. My estimation of the number of times I watched and thoroughly enjoyed Rihanna’s “Rude Boy” music video during the week: 79. Wow. All I can say is wow.

If you’re too embarrassed to respond or comment here on this blog (perhaps you don’t want the world to know that you actually watch The Jersey Shore or Lamas’ reality show) feel free to respond via email at ssc2x@virginia.edu.

3 comments:

  1. Sam,
    This post made me laugh so hard, especially the part about Lady GaGa. It reminded me of something similar that happened to you in kindergarten. We were studying the biomes of Africa with an emphasis on the animals that inhabited the various biomes. I had a collection of fiction and non-fiction books in the classroom to enhance the learning experience. A couple of students found a picture in a book of a tribe that had a labret piercing of a long piece of wood right below the lip. They were saying how ugly the people looked and how gross they looked(the picture was a little freaky and I did not know it was in the book). So I basically shared that we are all special and unique and beautiful to someone, blah, blah, blah. Well you were always such a kind, sweet and very bright student and you were not buying this whole "kumbaya" speech. You pointed to the picture and blurted out, "That is not beautiful and that scares me!" It was hysterical! Maybe that is why Lady GaGa horrifies you a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam- I'm laughing....and I'm sad....because I had to google some stuff and that means that I'm losing touch with the "real world".

    Oh well-
    1) I agree about Lady Gaga (without googling)
    2) Need to order Taken on Netflix
    3) Read about Jersey Shore in People- but lived it (or close by it) growing up
    4) Adored Lorenzo on Falcon Crest....never realized he had HIS OWN SHOW. (see- I'm out of touch)
    5) Googled Miley's boyfriend....um, yeah- he's hot.
    6) Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, you're wrong about Lady Gaga! Actually, she is kind of scary, but her music is great! You just need to hear it 10 times a day on Q94 (or a similar station) before you truly appreciate it ;-)

    Toby is embarrassed about Jersey Shore. Even more embarrassing is a new show called Jersylicious about a hair salon that is near his home and that his mom and sister both went to years ago.

    ReplyDelete